ONE STANDARD ANNUAL JOINING DONATION
SUGGESTED £10 PER YEAR
Our standard membership is incredible value.
We want to encourage everyone in the community to borrow more and buy less. For this reason we have set an incredibly low single standard joining fee.
All members have the opportunity to browse our inventory (link at the bottom of the page), and reserve up to 3 items at any one time.
Update 12th March 2022 – Library of Things Coming soon
Please bear with us whilst we test the various systems and also the electrical items within the inventory. We need to priorities your safety and indeed convenience before the Library of Things goes live.
In the meantime feel free to request a membership and browse the items (Link at the bottom of the page). At this stage you will not be asked to register any financial details, nor to make a payment. All financial transactions will take place at the Hub in person.
You will not be able to reserve any items until we go live which should be within the next 2 weeks.
Many thanks for your patience.
What is a Library of things?
Just like the library in your town which loans out books, our Library of Things (LoT) lends various useful items to its members.
We charge a small fee to cover our costs such as insurance and item maintenance, and many the ‘Things’ have been donated by people in the community.
Is there a difference between a Library of Things (LOT) and a traditional hire Shop?
Yes. There are a few differences between a hire shop and a LOT.
- The Walton on Thames Library of Things based at the Eco Hub in Walton is non-profit with all money raised going towards covering costs and improving our inventory of items rather than a commercial business which aims to make money for profit;
- The Walton on Thames Library of Things contains a wide range of ‘Things’, including many that a hire shop would not stock EG a chocolate fountain
- We loans ‘Things’ out for much less money than a hire shop would, making it more affordable to many more people;
- The Elmbridge Community Eco Hub aims to encourage a behavioural, economic and ecological change in the area, helping people to reduce waste, through the LOT and all of the other initiatives we host at the Hub.
What types of things are available to loan?
We stock a wide range of items, many of which have been donated by members of the community. Items include ladders, carpet cleaners, hand tools, sewing machine, gardening tools. Please click on the link below to visit our inventory, create a log in and start reserving items.
What do I need to do to be able to borrow from the Elmbridge Community Eco Hub LOT?
To borrow from the Walton-on-Thames Library of Things, you need :
- To be at least 18 years old
- To have an email address. We use this to send you receipts and important information about your loan.
- You must sign the Liability Waiver during the online sign-up process.
- You must bring at least one form of photo ID that has your current full time home address with you when you first use us. We will save a copy of this onto the LOT secure server to identify you for future loans.
Do I need to live in Elmbridge to use the LOT?
No. You can come from as far as you like, though you may have a LOT/share shed more locally, so do check before making the journey. One thing to consider is that all items must be collected and returned to us. We do not have a delivery service.
How do I pay for membership and loans?
You can pay for your membership and make your loan donations either by cash or card. For card payments we use a payment processing provider called Stripe. Stripe is a PCI Service Provider Level 1, which is the highest grade of payment processing security. If you are having difficulty making a payment, please contact us at email@example.com
- We want the LOT to work for everyone, so please bring your loan back on time. If you do not, you may be charged additional payments.
- Bring your item back in the same condition as when you borrowed it. We don’t want to spend valuable time, money and resource cleaning/repairing items due to neglect.
- Tell us immediately if you find a problem with the ‘Thing’ you have borrowed. Please do not use it if it is broken and or dangerous to use.
- Make sure you know how to use the ‘Thing’ properly. Please ask for help before you leave The Hub, and read the instructions provided. ***Remember you are the only person permitted to use the item.***